Technorati Tags: ,

Saturday, September 18, 2010

Agnes writes of a God Beyond Morality

In the ongoing debate about the role of moral rules in the life of faith, Agnes gives a definition of God that is centred neither in moralism NOR on any insipid view of God as a therapist.

I think God just IS and I'm not sure that implementing rules to encompasses something so broad is a way of worship. I'm more inclined to believe that to see the best in who and what we experience is our way to God no matter how bad it is. I think that is a very hard thing to do but I do believe that is true spiritual liberation.

I must admit it's only one interpretation and not the literal word of God. It's also very idealistic but if the concept of God is not idealistic then what is the point of recognising a supreme being.

Faith to me is believing that when we are down and out or feeling very isolated, then at least we can accept that we are created in God's image and here because we are here for a purpose and therefore important and loved.

The church to me does not often offer God to those who are at their lowest...at least not unconditionally. Its more about collecting souls. Souls who belong to God not employees of the church. It's only a point of view.

View this complete forum thread here. If you'd like to join the forum and reply, you'll need to use VIP code 'NO HOMERS'.

1 Comments:

Blogger Unknown said...

The Church does many things in my experience, and though it may not answer all our needs at the time we want those needs met, it does even in those times provide many helping influences.

There is direction, a sense of being somewhere. There is the sense that as a target of one's disappointment in a time of need, such argument indicates to me that some help is there. The criticism is there is not enough, and not soon enough, or the right enough.

For me, an important thing, again, offered by the Church is the opportunity to better meet, to better understand, and to better communicate with God. It is in the understanding and even acknowledgement of his goodness and presence that there is comfort.

So I think your remark about the failure of the Church has merit. In time of need there are other avenues beyond the Church alone, I admit, and often we are wise to take advantage of them--including doctors and other professionals as well as Church friends and friends in general.

But it is my belief that one can never go wrong acknowledging dependence and need for God in prayer. Make haste to help. Come to my assistance, O Lord.

Peter Menkin
Mill Valley, CA USA
(north of San Francisco

10:03 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home