Technorati Tags: ,

Monday, December 28, 2009

Alfamax shows that boxing is NOT a dying sport

Alfamax responds to the idea that boxing is a dying sport (read full thread here).

Yup, I've heard that one bandied about more times than I'd like to remember. I agree its certainly not dying, more like evolving. The reason I say that is because of the impingement of strength training methods that make use of the phosphagen energy systems of the body as opposed to the ritualistic slow road work sessions of yesteryear.

Having said that boxing is very unique in that it places demands on all three systems.

The cold wars impact on the evolution of training theory in boxing shines a light on the advancements in this area.

The other argument I seen against the extinction theory and I can’t remember who said it, but it had to do with MMA going through a period of domination which in my opinion partly comes from the early days of the Internet when there was lots of information and hype about street fighting and the benefits of ground fighting techniques and what not.

If you sail on over to Google Trends these are the results. So at least from Google’s basic perspective it isn’t dying!





Bottom line in my opinion is that boxing will continue to go through a renaissance and we’ll see more footage like that above [ie. mentioned in the previous postsin the thread].

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home